this is a series of free educational seminars for homeowners held at our studio at santa monica airport on scheduled saturday mornings. topics include:
- the architect’s scope of basic services
- surviving the construction process
- how to build green (and why everyone should be doing it)
- kitchen & bathroom design
the next seminar has been scheduled for saturday, february 20, 2010 from 10:30 – 12:00.
there will be a 45 minute presentation and then we’ll have a 45 minute Q&A period. seating is limited so please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a reservation.
february’s topic will be “anatomy of a second story addition”
we will be discussing all things related to adding a second story to your home including;
- how do i find the right architect?
- how do i assemble the best project team?
- how much will it REALLY cost? (and what contractors won’t tell you because they want the job)
- how can i find the right contractor?
- what happens to my existing house?
- can i live there during construction?
- how long will the whole project take?
- what is the “bidding process” all about?
a slide show documenting the construction of a second floor addition will be presented. the more informed you are as a homeowner, the better you can set your goals and expectations to ensure a smooth running process.
david doucette, aia leed ap, is the owner of reside architecture, inc. and also a licensed architect and general contractor in the state of california. he will walk you through the issues that homeowners face today when contemplating a home renovation project.